(See You Later, oil on panel by Allison Leigh Smith, 2016 Annual Juried Exhibit Best in Show)
The Durango Arts Center is pleased to provide a professional juried exhibit for artists working in all media. In its 41st year, the Annual Juried Exhibit will be expanded to a national competition to broaden creative expression, both in and outside of our community, and will now also accept multi-media/video works. The juror of this year’s exhibit, Benjamin Hickey, will also provide free onsite portfolio reviews and critique to any artist regardless of their acceptance into the exhibit.
Please review the complete Juried Exhibit Guidelines and upload your artwork/application on DAC’s Submittable page.
CALL TO ARTISTS OPENS: February 1, 2017
ONLINE SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: April 22, 2017
NOTIFICATION TO ARTISTS: May 15, 2017
SHIPPED ARTWORK DELIVERY: June 12-June 17, 2017
LOCAL ARTWORK DROP-OFF: June 19, 10am-4pm
OPENING RECEPTION & AWARDS: June 23, 5-7pm
ENTRIES & FEES
- There are two (2) fee amounts based upon status of DAC membership and as a student. Fees are non-refundable.
- $10.00 fee per entered artwork as a DAC Member or currently enrolled student
- $20.00 fee per entered artwork for Non-Members/Non-Students
- Artists are permitted to submit up to five (5) entries. EX: DAC Members/Students entering two (2) artworks will be charged $20.00 total ($10 per artwork).
- Artists may submit up to 3 images total per entry: no more than 1 composition image and 2 detail images per work. Composition and detail images must be clearly labeled with artist’s name and title of work. EX: Smith_John_Morning_Glow.
Cash awards will be presented for Best in Show ($300), Second Place ($200) and Third Place ($100). The Best in Show selection will also serve as artwork for the print and online materials of the 42nd Annual Juried Exhibit in 2018. Contact Exhibits Director Peter Hay to learn more by email or calling (970) 259-2606, Ext 12.
DAC is proud to engage a broad, diverse artist community. We strive to provide artists space for expression, creation and promotion, and as we continue to grow our artist community we hope you join us!
In addition to general member benefits, artists also receive:
- Reduced entry fees to juried exhibits
- Reduced commission fees (to DAC) on art sales that occur within the Barbara Conrad Gallery or Art Library
- FREE entry into the annual Members’ Exhibit, which features cash awards
- No submission fees on exhibit proposals for the Barbara Conrad and Entrada/Arriba Galleries
- Listing in Member Artist Directory
- Monthly email notification of local, regional and national artist opportunities
JUROR : BENJAMIN HICKEY
DAC is pleased to welcome Benjamin Hickey, the curator of exhibitions and collections for the Masur Museum of Art (Monroe, LA) as this year’s juror. Hickey is also currently serving as Trustee At-Large of the Association of American Art Curators. He earned his Master’s degree from the University of California, Riverside. Prior to his tenure at the Masur, he held positions with the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Canisius College, the Arts Council of Buffalo & Erie County, and the California Museum of Photography. Hickey has organized 17 exhibitions and coordinated another 9 at the Masur. He has worked with many artists including Keliy Anderson-Staley, Harold Cohen, Shayne Dark, Hasan Elahi, Greely Myatt, Alberto Rey, George Rodrigue, Marni Shindelman & Nate Larson, Kate Shannon, Vitus Shell, James Surls, and Douglas Weathersby. Hickey’s publications include “Beneath the Surface,” in Life Streams: Alberto Rey’s Cuban and American Work, from SUNY Press and “Improvisations in Time,” in Improvisations in Time: Eugene J. Martin and the Masur Museum of Art, Masur Museum Press. Hickey also sits on the Community Advisory Board of KEDM, an NPR affiliate. His most recent exhibition, Shared Earth: The Ancient Mounds Project, was a collaboration with the photographer Jenny Ellerbe and staff at Poverty Point, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
DAC is grateful for the generous support of our exhibit sponsors who enable culturally innovative programs to exist in our community. The 41st Annual Juried Exhibit is sponsored by Russell Engineering and Oxford Asset Management.