THE BARBARA CONRAD GALLERY
Bringing people together to explore and engage in arts and culture through diverse in-house exhibitions. Open Tuesday–Saturday from 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
“Purple Cats and Green Skies: The Influence of Children’s Art on the 20th Century Art World”
March 27 – May 2
Opening Reception: Friday, March 27, 5-7 p.m.
A group show with Juanita Ainsley, Melanie Yazzie, Natalie Goldberg & Rodney Hatfield
Juanita Ainsley artist/curator will be joined by artists Melanie Yazzie, Natalie Goldberg and Rodney Hatfield. Each one of these artists employs a free and childlike quality in their work along with a sense of sophisticated naiveté and disregard of old expectations that visual art be representational and realistic.
- Exhibit artist Natalie Goldberg will be on hand at the opening reception to sign her book, “Living Color: A Writer Paints her World” which will be for sale in the Barbara Conrad Gallery.
- Judith Reynolds presents the lecture Innocent Wisdom; The Influence of Children’s Art on 20th Century Artists on Thursday, April 2 from 3 to 4 p.m. The lecture is free to the public.
- Working In Full Color – Exploring Monotypes with visiting artist Melanie Yazzie on April 25-26 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. $225 DAC members / $250 general. Click here for more information.
Click here for complete exhibit information
The 21st Annual Creativity Festivity 2015: Everyday Magic
April 10-May 2
- Children’s exhibit opens in the Barbara Conrad Gallery on Friday, April 10 from 4–6:30 p.m. 4th grade writing contest winners will be honored during the reception.
- High School artwork shown at the Steaming Bean for the month of May.
- Annual High School Poetry Slam is Wednesday, April 22 in the DAC Theater. Sign up for reading starts at 5 p.m.
- DAC Applause! presents the production of Xanadu, Jr. that will be taken into the elementary schools to perform as well as offering two performances at DAC on Friday April 10 at 7 p.m. and Saturday April 11 at 1 p.m. Cost is $8 per ticket.
Click here for full event description
// UPCOMING //
a Group Exhibit Curated by Joan Russell featuring Shawn Lotze, Chandler Wigton, Stacey Sotosky, Minna Jain, and Shay Lopez
May 8–June 20
Opening Reception: Friday, May 8 from 5–7 p.m.
A discussion led by the curator and exhibiting artists will take place at 6:45 p.m.
The May Show, curated by Joan Russell; is an exhibit of five rising young artists from the region Shawn Lotze, Chandler Wigton, Stacey Sotosky, Minna Jain, and Shay Lopez . This show will offer an experience in the broadening view of what is now defined as art. It will be an opportunity for viewers to widen their perspective of what has become a cross-discipline and multi-media experience with interactive aspects and a youthful exuberance towards the visual arts.
EXHIBIT 970 REPRISE
June 26–August 1
Opening Reception: Friday, June 26, 5-7 p.m.
Beer and Wine service with live music by J.R. Cook
Featured Exhibit Events
Annual Members Exhibit
August 7–September 19
Opening Reception: Friday, August 7 from 5-7 p.m.
An annual collaboration with several regional environmental organizations. We hope artists will find this to be an opportunity to explore relationships, connect to that sense of wonder or source of inspiration, be inspired by the beauty and wild which surrounds us here in the West. We wish to engage the public, to educate and expand our consciousness in regards to protecting and preserving the environment.
The Great Divide film will screen September 10th in the DAC Theater.
The Durango Chamber of Commerce “Reflections of Durango” award has been incorporated into this exhibition. The Durango Chamber of Commerce will reproduce 1000 artist signed and numbered prints to be distributed to all Chamber of Commerce members.
Cowboy Gathering/Western Group Exhibit
September 25 – October 24
Opening Reception: Thursday, October 1 from 5-7 p.m.
An annual group exhibition of Western Americana artists, in collaboration with the Durango Cowboy Poetry Gathering. Theater presentations, music, lectures and films will be scheduled.
Michael Brieger exhibits “Slavery Days”
October 30–November 21
Opening Reception: Friday, October 30 from 5–7 p.m.
A solo exhibition of artist Michael Brieger’s new work. Peculiar institutional sculpture, paintings and other media.
Winter Solstice Artisans’ Market
November 21–December 24
Opening Reception: Friday, November 21 from 5–7 p.m.
Join DAC for holiday shopping as the Barbara Conrad Gallery is transformed into a Northern European holiday market featuring over 65 artists for holiday gift giving.