September 20 & 21, 2014
86 Juried Arts and Fine Craft Booths | Live Music All Weekend | Artisanal Food & Drink Court | Creation Station for Hands-On Art Experiences
Durango Arts Center presents the 20th Annual Durango Autumn Arts Festival on Second Avenue in historic downtown Durango. The region’s premiere outdoor Fine Arts and Fine Crafts show, 2014 marks 20 years of celebrating and promoting the amazing creativity and productivity of makers from across the West. This year will feature 86 selected artists and craftspeople who will share their inspiring and unique hand-made works including painting, sculpture, glass, photography, mixed media, jewelry, ceramics and more!
- 86 artists & craftspeople juried by arts professionals from the region
- Located on E. 2nd Avenue between College and 9th Streets – closed to auto traffic!
- Free admission – No dogs please!
- Live music on the 2nd Avenue Stage all weekend (see below)
- Delectable treats by local artisanal food makers – The Intolerant Italian, Tom Cat’s Lemonade, Cream Bean Berry and Rylee Mac’s Famous Foods
- Local brews from Steamworks Brewing
- Creation Station offering hands-on art activities for all ages
Click Here for Artist Booth Roster Information
Musicians and Stage Schedule
A SPECIAL Pre-Festival Event Help Us Bring History ALIVE and Celebrate the Return of Chautauqua to Durango!
Chautauqua is just one more way that Durango shows its love of the Humanities. Meet in person, Founding Father, “General Alexander Hamilton” Portrayed by professional actor, Hal Bidlack
What: As part of Colorado Humanities 40th anniversary celebration, Chautauqua features portrayals of historical figures by national scholars. As part of its 40th anniversary celebration, Durango will host Hal Bidlack as Alexander Hamilton. Bidlack will answer questions in costume and in character, and then from his perspective as a scholar of Hamilton. Bidlack has presented this program around the United States and is known for his fine scholarship and terrific acting!
Where: Durango Art Center Theatre
When: Wednesday, September 17, 7:00 pm
FREE to ALL
Some historical context of General Alexander Hamilton to set the stage!
- Illegitimate son of Scottish father and French Huegenot mother, born in the British West Indies.
- College educated but never graduated, leaving school in 1776 to join the Continental Army
- George Washington’s aide-de-camp and advisor during the Revolutionary War, achieving the rank of lieutenant colonel by age twenty-two
- Representative of New York to the Continental Congress and at the Constitutional Convention
- Chief author of the Federalist Papers, with James Madison and John Jay, which were instrumental in influencing the approval by the states of the US Constitution and the establishment of a strong central government
- First Secretary of Treasury under George Washington, instituting the first national debt management policy, creating the first national bank, and forming the precursor to what would later become the Coast Guard
- Founder of the first formal political party in the US, the Federalists
- Subject of one of the first publicized political sex scandals
- Participant in a duel with the Vice-President of the United States, Aaron Burr, dying of a gunshot would incurred in the duel with Hamilton allegedly misdirecting his shot to miss Burr
Made possible by Colorado Humanities
2014 FESTIVAL SPONSOR
2014 FESTIVAL ADVERTISING SPONSORS
2nd AVENUE STAGE SPONSORS
Connect with DAAF
For general inquiries and information, please contact:
Jules Masterjohn, Festival Director at DAAF@durangoarts.org or (970) 422-8566.